Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Technique Tuesday - Open Top Gift Box

WOW! I hope you all did our Happy Holidays blog hop. There was quite a bit of talent and a whole lot of wonderful ideas!! Today Stampin' Up released the Holiday Mini Catalog and if you haven't gotten yours in the mail you can check it out by clicking the picture on my side bar!

I shared with you several creations using the Cold & Cuddly stamp set and one of those was what I am now calling my open top gift box. If you didn't get a chance to see it here it is again for you.

Now on to the tutorial!

I started off by using a piece of 12"x12" Specialty DSP from Christmas Cocoa. I trimmed it down to 12"x10". I then scored on all four sides 3" inches.






From two ends I cut on the score lines to where the score line meet to create four flaps.







To create the box just pull each side up taping down the flaps to the inside of each end.







To create the base I used the cardboard insert that comes with your DSP and trim it down to 6"x4" to fit on the bottom of the box. Using the left over 2" from the first step I cut it in half and covered the cardboard piece with it.




Set it on the inside of the box.








Here are a couple of close up's so you can see the detail of the bear and ice block he is sitting on. You can click on the picture's to enlarge them.



For the ice block I started by stamping the image in Bliss Blue and then used my versamarker and Iridescent Ice to emboss the bottom. For the top half I used Crystal Effects. I think it made it look like a more realistic piece of ice. Hope you found this tutorial useful and if you use it please leave a comment with a link back to your site so I can see your creation!! Happy Stamping!!

2 comments:

Jaspere said...

What a cute project. I just love all those snowflakes.

Leah said...

Thanks for posting the instructions to making the box... It's so cute & after reading the instructions, seems so easy to duplicate! I LOVE it!! It will be the perfect little box to send holiday treats in... Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails