Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Technique Tuesday - Watercolor Crayons

A bit back I showed you a cub scout calendar project I made. If you don't remember it can be found here. I colored in the image using watercolor crayons. I thought I would do a tutorial using them and probably the simplest way is just by coloring and then blending.

Start with you solid image. Some recommend that you use a permanent ink like staz on, but I always use my regular basic black unless I plan on using a lot of water to blend, then it will smear.

Color in your image using the water color crayons. Color it in to your specifications. You don't have to be exact when coloring in the image, you will be blending in the color.



Once you have all the image colored in you will run you blender pen over the coloring to smooth and blend in the color. You can also use the aqua painters or paint brush. I personally like the blender pens better. I would also recommend doing each color separately if doing mass images so that your colors stay crisp.


Your image should look like this when all blended in. I did go out of the lines a bit and though usually I am particular about perfection I have begun to learn that it's not as noticeable as I think it and most people who get these as gifts don't care or notice. I hope you found the tutorial useful. Happy Stamping,


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TFS! I rarely use my crayons, but I really need to do more with them! Thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous tutorial. What a cute image.

Anonymous said...

The crayons make water coloring a snap. For a different twist try using Gamsol in stead of water, it gives a shinny affect. Great for water scenes.

nic_d said...

Great tutorial! I've always been curious about these, but not brave enough to try them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails